eTrueSports Logo Monday, April 21st, 2014
 
<< Back

No Federal Bailout for Barkley

May 17, 2008

Charles Barkley gambling in Las Vegas

“We’re a little short this month,” says Treasury Secretary Paulson
 
Washington – Contrary to press reports, the Bush administration will not bail out Charles Barkley from a $400,000 gambling debt to a Las Vegas casino. “What with the Iraq war and all, we’re just a little short this month,” explained Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.
 
“I guess I shouldn’t have switched from Republican to Democrat,” said a rueful Barkley, who accrued the debt at the Wynn Las Vegas casino in a two-day October gambling binge.
 
“Despite this little misunderstanding,” said a White House spokesman, “the administration still hopes that Charles will vote Republican in the coming election ... and also not run for governor of Alabama.”
 
In a telephone interview from the TNT studios, where he is employed as an NBA basketball analyst, Barkley said that he was considering an appeal to the Supreme Court. “They’re usually real nice to rich people,” said Barkley, who added, “I’m not broke, but I ain’t happy either.”

In a surprising sidebar to the story, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, who last week called for an investigation into the alleged bailout, said she now regretted her decision. "If I knew now what I didn't know then, I never would have said what I said," said Clinton.
 

<< Back

Reader Responses
May 21, 2008 9:09 AM
Yo
Charles doesn't have a gambling problem.  He has a winning problem.
May 19, 2008 11:38 PM
Brittney S.
I don't understand why Hillary is in this otherwise totally cool article. She's really, really smart and does't deserve it. At all. Maybe you're mean. I don't like mean people. 
  • Sources close to the Red Sox say due to a scheduling conflict, former pitcher Bill Lee will not throw out the first ball against the Orioles on Sunday, April 20th. "Somebody spaced out," one longtime Sox observer told eTrueSports.
  • Oklahoma center Kendrick Perkins touched the rim late in the 2nd quarter of the Thunder's victory over Memphis on Saturday, eTrueSports has learned.
  • Papa John's Pizza pitchman Jim Nantz has taken the lead in the Annual Worst Actor In A Commercial Award, eTrueSports has learned. "Truly embarrassing," a longtime Madison Ave. executive said, who called the currently airing national spot "as cheap and crappy as the pizza."
  • Tigers' star Miguel Cabrera announced he will use a portion of his $248 million contract extension to purchase Detroit. "Good write-off," said Cabrera.
  • "Karma's a bitch and she's got a long memory," a spokesman for the American Buddhist Club told eTrueSports about Tiger Woods' withdrawal from the 2014 Masters.
  • In another example of government-regulation-gone-wild, the FCC has ruled that at least one minute of broadcast time during each hour of Masters broadcasts be reserved for “non-erectile dysfunction” products.
  • A crowd outside WFAN studios supporting Mike Francesa was dispersed without incident by the NYPD late Friday afternoon. "Neither of them had their hearts in it," a patrolman told eTrueSports.
  • Knicks' owner James Dolan will finance and star in "Spawn of the Dead," described as a "horror film with comedic elements," eTrueSports has learned. The Mets Jeff Wilpon and Yankees' Hank Steinbrenner are reportedly considering co-starring roles.
  • A challenge overturned the Mets' GM Sandy Alderson's 'We're-a-90-victory team' assertion in the first pre-game use of MLB's new replay system. "Delusional and sad," said a source close to Commissioner Bud Selig.
  • Heard any good rumors?
    Email the publisher!